Sunday, October 19, 2008

Vancouver, day 1

Sooooo I am in Vancouver now. It was an interesting trip nonetheless. I woke up at 4, and then had a flight from Pittsburgh to Chicago and then that flight was late, so I had to run to the terminal for Vancouver. Finally, I got on the flight to Vancouver and it was delayed because of ice on the wings or something.... weird. SO FINALLY! my GEOS friend from NY Amy and I made it to Vancouver. We decided to split a cab to our hotels which ended up being crazy cheap (20 bucks a person with tip included) and we both had 40+ pound suitcases. The cab driver was awesome though, he talked our ear off about everything from Sarah Palin, crime in Vancouver, and where to get the best pizza. He was an asian man who either kept calling me sir or couldn't speak english that well. I think he kept calling me sir. So once in the place, I checked into the hostel where I will stay for the week. The Ramada Inn was 70 bucks a night, and even if I split with someone, it would be 35 plus taxes... times 5 nights = 175 + tax. Soo I went for the hostel which was 160 for 5 nights, no tax. The rooms are totally tiny. BUT there is a big dining/computer room and kitchen with pop machines and everything. However, we each have lockers, but they are tiny and I cannot fit my two HUGE suitcases in them, so I am letting them sit out and I told one guy in my room, hey please don't steal my stuff. We'll see what happens. Tonight Amy and some new friends Adam and Jared and I went to get pizza and beer, the American staple. Luckily, we'll all be in the Osaka/Kyoto region, except Amy who will be nearby, so I am really excited to have close contacts. Tomorrow starts training at 9 am... It goes until 5, and then afterward we have to walk to the Japanese consulate to get our visas. I can't wait to have fun stories to share!! I miss you all horribly. Keep it real!

*I took pictures, but I don't have a USB cable for my camera.... so they will be posted, ASAP!

No comments: