Most people know I love theatre. I love watching shows, singing, performing, etc. Well, a group of my Japanese friends knew this, and they invited me with them to see a performance called "A Country Christmas." I agreed, and invited two of my GEOS friends to come so they could share the experience.
We went, and had to take a taxi from the station to get to the theater, because the theater was on top of a mountain. Well in the taxi, the driver was talking to one of our Japanese friends, and the driver told him, "wow you're really good at English, maybe you can help me" and proceeded to tell him about a problem he was having... turns out, the driver was having a long distance relationship with a Philippine lady and he wanted to talk to her in English, but he didn't know a certain word....
It was 'horny.' He asked us how to say horny in English. And then the entire cab got quiet, so of course, I asked, "why do you want to know?" and he said, very calmly, "hornyだから (Because I am horny)." All I could say was oh... and that was that. The taxi cost 780 yen I think, but he gave us a discount because we taught him new vocab, so we only had to pay 600! However, the cab let us off at the bottom of the giant mountain, so we had to trek up the 75 degree slope? So everyone was walking up ahead la-de-da, and my friend Katie and I were falling behind huffing and puffing like the fatties we are. It was a little embarrassing, but we made it.
Now the play was a charity event put on by community members of Kansai, so I was hoping it would be so bad it was good. And I was not disappointed. It was a series of 7 one act plays with musical numbers in between, with NO Christmas theme at all... however, the 'Country' was represented by 2 women and 3 men dressed in tight jeans, cowboy boots, and bandanas around their necks. The cast of the one acts consisted of a mix of asians, mainly Vietnamese and Japanese, and Westerners. The plays were in English, and I think someone just picked them out of "The Big Book of One Act Plays" because they were a mix of really good ones, and so-so ones. All in all, it was a fun night. The director told us the money was going to charity... his words were, "The money goes to help blind orphans in South East Asia." We all were surprised how specific he was. Usually causes are for orphans or the blind, not both in one. He also said that blind asians can only be massage therapists, unless they speak Japanese. Then they have a chance at a different job... So some of the money is going toward setting up a Japanese language program in these countries where the blind orphans hang out.
No comments:
Post a Comment