Wednesday, November 5, 2008

All I want is a keitai

I went to get a cell phone a few days ago... so, instead of it going smoothly, they said I needed my alien registration card... it takes about a month to get that, so I had to go get a sheet of paper from the city office that proved I was living in my address. So instead of me handing the cell phone guy my handwritten address, I had to go to the city office, pay 200 yen, and then handwrite my address for them so they could print out a fancy sheet of paper with my name and address on it. What?

So then, I went back to the cell phone place, and they said, oh well you need to either pay by bank account or credit card... so I chose bank account since my paycheck is direct deposit, however I hadn't made my account yet... so I went to make my bank account. HOWEVER to make an account, I needed my 'hanko' SO I had to go get one of those.

What felt like 3 years later, with my hanko and bank account book in hand, I went BACK to the cell phone place, and then the guy said OK we just have to order your phone.... see you in 2 days.

.......

So I went back today. The guy had bad news... SoftBank, a cell phone company, rejected my application for some weird reason. The guy never said. So I would either have to pay either 400 or 700 bucks today to get a cell phone (I don't know what the price difference was because I only wanted one phone) or choose a different company. SO I decided to go with DoCoMo, another popular company, because they had a free phone special and it wasn't horrible.

I filled out another application, but this time I was prepared, and told the guy I'd come back at 630 to pick up the NEW phone I had to pick out... unfortunately they were out of the color I wanted, so I could settle for white or black... I was so fed up, I chose black.

2 kids classes later, I went back, and the cell phone guy asked if I had some japanese thing, and I said ummm what? and he made it seem like an insurance card or driver's license or something, and I said I had an American driver's license... but I have my 200 yen fancy paper and a passport.... well, that wasn't good enough for DoCoMo.... so I left, phone-less. He told me to come back when I have my alien registration card and he'll save my phone for me.... thanks, dude.

I was so frustrated, I went to McDonalds and had a big mac. Ohhh comfort food....

I don't understand why I am having so much trouble!

2 comments:

Sarah In Japan said...

What the heck????
I'm so sorry that happened, that's insane!! Where did you get your bank account? I went with the post office and told them I didn't have a hanko and they let me get away without one. (Although I did want one but I was informed that since I signed up by signature I'll have to ALWAYS use my signature so I guess it will be just a souvenir now!)!

I can't believe how horrible the cell phone companies are being to you!! You'd think they'd really WANT your business (especially since everyone ELSE in Japan already owns a phone! New business must be scarce!)! I didn't realize you had to apply for a phone and that that could be denied!!

Oh my gosh, GOOD LUCK!!!!!

Sara said...

yeesh, could they be any more ridiculous? I really don't get it, 'cause I got my phone without any problems at all. I just had to wait to get my gaijin card, and once I got that, they were as helpful as could be. when I told them I didn't have a bank account yet, they said I could just pay at the AU store or even at a convenie. jeez, I hope it all gets worked out! good luck!