Today was a whirlwind of crazy students so let me tell you about them.
#1: One student told me about her trip to eat crab with her family, but on the way there, she and her husband got pulled over by the police for speeding. She told me, "My STUPID husband wasn't paying attention to the speed, so we got a fine." this is uncommon for me because most Japanese women are totally devout to their husbands, but this woman constantly says if she could start over again, she would be single with a cat.
#2: I started talking to this female student about Takarazuka, a kind of musical performance I went to this weekend, and she said she loved musicals. So, we started going through the lists of all the ones she knew, like Phantom of the Opera, Oklahoma!, and finally Sound of Music. She started singing the Do-Re-Mi song in Japanese (Do wa donutsu no do, re wa remon no re) and asked if the English lyrics were the same... so I spent 45 minutes explaining the English lyrics to her and it was like a breakthrough when she figured out the play on words... like So and Sew was especially wonderful for her because she figured it out with no help from me. Then, we sang through it once and it was time to go.
#3: Finally, this one private student, a man, and I were talking about bugs, plants, and other various things in nature. He decided to tell me that you can get parasites from eating salmon, tuna, and squid and they will burrow into your liver, and in his own words, "long story short, you'll die." Then he told me if you touch a fox, you'll get a parasite and die. THEN he said if you eat snails, you'll get a parasite and die. I sort of think he just hates these things. What did a fox ever do to him?? Later he said that he is growing cockroaches in his office and he will bring me one for a pet. I told him he was too kind.
This weekend I bought new movies for my school. We only have a VCR, so I had to find VHS tapes that I will never need again in life. Luckily, they were cheap. I bought Space Jam, Robin Hood (Disney animated one), You've Got Mail, Oliver and Company, Romeo + Juliet, and the Breakfast Club. I also bought Rocky Horror Picture Show, but it's not exactly school appropriate.
2 comments:
OMG Nick, if you get a cockroach as a *pet* I am sooo never stepping foot in your apartment! Eek!! These students do sound... interesting and I'm stoked you saved the bug guy for last as he is totally the icing on the cake! He reminds me of one of my private students (I think we've all figured out *why* they're private students, ey?) who is sooo negative and contradictory constantly. Buuuut, funny story, three weeks ago he told me allll about how he ate something bad and got diarrhea, two weeks ago it was how he drank too much and "food came up" at work, near his 'micro-ska-pee' (microscope), and last week... I can't remember suddenly (I just woke up) but it was something equally as thrilling!
Please keep up the blogs! They make me laughhhhhh!
Why have I never seen this before? BOOKMARKING NOW
-Timmy C
Post a Comment